Awards that reward the region’s best, brightest, most successful, and innovative tourism businesses will return in 2022 and will continue to be a route to national recognition.
The 2022 Remarkable East Yorkshire Tourism Awards, the REYTAs, organised by tourism body Visit Hull and East Yorkshire (VHEY), are officially launched today (Wednesday, November 3rd), culminating in an awards event in March 2022. This will see the return of the in-person awards evening following a successful virtual event in 2020 and a cancelled event in 2021 due to the pandemic.
Now in their 12th year, the REYTAs, are being run in association with the national Visit England Awards for Excellence 2022 and eligible winners will be automatically put forward to the national VisitEngland Awards for Excellence 2022.
Councillor Jane Evison, portfolio holder for economic development and tourism at East Riding of Yorkshire Council, said: “It is fantastic to hear that the REYTAs will return in person in 2022 and it will be a fantastic opportunity to commend and give recognition to all the tourism business in the region which have worked hard to recover and bounce back following a difficult couple of years for business. We have seen our businesses adapt fantastically well and these awards give us all the perfect opportunity to share our experiences and show our appreciation to our brilliant tourism businesses.”
To mark the tie-in with the country’s national tourist board, the 2022 REYTAs have been further enhanced with new, additional, categories. There are 15 in total, including one bestowed by the Visit Hull & East Yorkshire Advisory Board, honouring an individual who has made a significant contribution to tourism in the region.
A new category this time is the Remarkable Resilience and Innovation Award, which will recognise tourism businesses who have demonstrated innovation, resilience and adaptation, along with support for their local communities, during the Covid-19 pandemic.
In addition to these, the REYTAs also honour the very best, from major visitor attractions and events to hotels and accommodation providers, restaurants, pubs, cafes, food retailers and producers.
The REYTAs are open to all tourism businesses in Hull and East Yorkshire, large and small. Entry is free and easy to complete and can be done online, from today, by visiting www.reytas.co.uk
Entries must be in by noon on Monday January 17, 2022, after which a shortlist of finalists will be drawn up. Judging will then take place via independent panels and mystery shopping, ahead of the finals night, which this year returns to the Bridlington Spa on Thursday March 31.
Cllr Evison commented: “Hull and East Yorkshire continues to establish itself to be one of the top choices for visitors from outside our region as well as offering fantastic choices for local people to enjoy all year round.
“It’s a remarkable event to celebrate a remarkable industry which contributes over £866 million annually to the Hull and East Yorkshire economy and provides employment for over 18,000 people. The awards showcase the very best that Hull and East Yorkshire have to offer.”
Councillor Daren Hale, portfolio holder for tourism at Hull City Council, said: “The REYTAs are a fantastic opportunity for businesses to showcase why they are so important to our region. It’s also an opportunity for our hard-working businesses and creatives to pause and celebrate what they have achieved.
“Some businesses will of course go on to represent Hull and East Yorkshire nationally, demonstrating the tremendous talent and unique draw of our fabulous region. Events like these are always a powerful and important reminder of the fantastic offer we have right on our doorstep.”
Over the next weeks and months, full details of the programme for the awards night will be unveiled as we look forward to once again celebrating the very best of the region.
The full list of categories for the 2022 REYTAs are as follows:
- Remarkable B&B and Guest House of the Year: Recognises bed & breakfast and guest house businesses providing truly memorable guest experiences and demonstrating excellence across every aspect of the business.
- Remarkable Camping, Glamping and Holiday Park: Large or small, but providing truly memorable guest experiences and demonstrating excellence across every aspect of the business.
- Remarkable Cuppa: Recognises businesses within the tourism industry that offer food, beverage and service innovation and excellence.
- Remarkable Ethical, Responsible and Sustainable Tourism Award: Recognises tourism businesses committed to being sustainable, responsible and ethical in how they operate and interact with customers, the wider community and the environment.
- Remarkable Experience of the Year: Recognises providers of truly memorable and immersive activities for visitors to participate in.
- Remarkable Hotel of the Year: Recognises hotels and serviced accommodation businesses providing truly memorable guest experiences and demonstrating excellence across every aspect of the business.
- Remarkable Local Producer Award: Open to producers, processors or growers of local food and drink products, vineyards, breweries, farms and co-operatives.
- Remarkable New Tourism Business Award: Recognises new businesses demonstrating excellent understanding of their market, exceeding the expectations of their customers with clear plans for future development.
- Remarkable Pub of the Year: Pubs that make a significant contribution to tourism in their area, with a food and drink offering that includes quality locally sourced produce
- Remarkable Resilience and Innovation Award: Recognises tourism businesses who have demonstrated innovation, resilience and adaptation, along with support for their local communities, during the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Remarkable Restaurant: Open to food service businesses including restaurants, hotel restaurants, cafés, tea rooms, coffee shops, bistros etc. offering the option for table service.
- Remarkable Self Catering Accommodation of the Year: Businesses providing truly memorable guest experiences and demonstrating excellence across every aspect of the business.
- Remarkable Tourism Event: The best event or festival in Hull and East Yorkshire, providing a truly memorable experience to visitors to the area.
- Remarkable Visitor Attraction of the Year: Businesses providing truly memorable visitor experiences and demonstrating excellence across every aspect of the business.
- Remarkable East Yorkshire Passion Award: Someone selected by the Visit Hull & East Yorkshire Advisory Board Group who in their judgement has made a significant contribution to tourism in our region. Nominations are invited from the local tourism industry.